StepUp FAFSA Scholarship Rules
Win a scholarship just for submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)!
Each year we award FAFSA Scholarships to Utah high school seniors who have submitted their FAFSA.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Attend a StepUp Utah FAFSA Completion Open House (during the 2019-20 academic year). See the calendar of events here.
- Complete our FAFSA Completion Open House survey (link will be made available at the event) – be sure to include accurate information. This survey serves as the scholarship application.
- Submit your 2020-21 FAFSA beginning October 1, 2019
- Failure to complete one or all of the requirements will disqualify you from any prize eligibility.
- As previously mentioned, YOU MUST ATTEND A StepUp Utah SPONSORED FAFSA COMPLETION OPEN HOUSE AND TURN IN YOUR EVENT SURVEY (survey link given out at FAFSA completion night events) TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE SIX $500 SCHOLARSHIPS.
- YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT YOUR 2020-21 FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA) TO BE ELIGIBLE.
- Entrants must be legal United States residents attending either a Utah postsecondary educational institution or a Utah secondary education institution (if in high school, must be a senior (12th grade) or homeschool student equivalent).
- Employees of the Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority, its affiliated organizations and the immediate family members of each are ineligible.
- Only one entry per person is allowed regardless of any information listed elsewhere.
- Entrants must be residents of the state of Utah or attending a postsecondary educational institution in Utah to be eligible to win any prizes, but it is not mandatory to be a resident of Utah to attend any UHEAA FAFSA Night.
- An eligible postsecondary institution is defined as any postsecondary institution which is legally permitted to disburse Title IV federal student aid.
- The student must either plan to enroll in an eligible postsecondary institution or provide proof of acceptance to or proof of enrollment in an eligible postsecondary institution. If a winning student does not enroll in an eligible postsecondary institution within four (4) years of the student’s graduating class’ completion of high school, the award is forfeited, and the funds will be returned to the earmarked pool in the Salt Lake Education Foundation trust. In order to receive the funds, the student must mail proof of enrollment (including the student’s college ID number) to the Salt Lake Education Foundation at:
- Salt Lake Education Foundation
- 440 East 100 South Salt Lake City, UT 84111
- The scholarship funds will be sent directly to the postsecondary institution where the student plans to attend to be credited to the student’s account. The scholarship is not a waiver; therefore, any funds remaining after a student’s tuition and fees are paid may be released to the student to cover other educational expenses such as books, supplies, equipment, room, board, or travel.
- The contest will officially open on the night of the first eligible FAFSA Completion Open House on October 1st, 2019
- The contest will officially end on May 31st, 2019 at 11:59 pm MT. Event surveys must be received by this time to be considered eligible.
HOW WINNERS WILL BE CHOSEN/NOTIFIED
- Six $500 scholarships will be awarded to Utah students who:
- Attended a StepUP Utah FAFSA Completion Open House and complete the event survey
- Randomly selected survey responses will be compared to the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number on the FAFSA. Four of the six scholarships will be awarded to students with an EFC that is within or near the EFC range for Pell Grant-eligibility. The two remaining scholarships will be awarded at random (without consideration of EFC number).
- All winners will receive a phone call and a letter confirming that they have won.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND DETAILS
- Prizes cannot be redeemed for cash or substituted for any other items by the winners. The winners cannot assign or transfer prizes. UHEAA and StepUp Utah reserve the right to substitute a comparable prize of like or greater value, including cash, for any prize, for any reason.
- UHEAA may use pictures, video or other media obtained from or including contest winners for promotion of UHEAA, StepUp Utah, Utah Scholars, UtahFutures, Higher Ed Utah (Utah System of Higher Education) or any other approved subjects.
- Only one prize will be awarded per household.
- This giveaway is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited or restricted by law, including without limitation, in jurisdictions requiring registration, filing, trust account, or posting of a bond, or any other requirements or disclosures that are not expressly satisfied by these rules.
- UHEAA is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the printing, offering, or administration of the giveaway, or in the announcement of the prize.
- By entering, participants represent that they are eligible, and agree (a) to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, (b) to release StepUp Utah and UHEAA, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize, and (c) to UHEAA’s use of entrants’ personal information including pictures, video or other media that includes the entrant’s likeness.
- Prize winnings may be subject to State or Federal taxes. Winners are encouraged to consult a tax professional to determine any tax consequences.
- By entering, participants release SurveyMonkey, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize.
- This promotion/contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, SurveyMonkey.
- By entering the contest, you are providing information to StepUp Utah and UHEAA, not to SurveyMonkey
If you have any questions regarding this application or scholarship contest, please contact us:
- Katie Wornek, 801-321-7245, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jacob Newman, 801-366-8487, email@example.com
- General: firstname.lastname@example.org