Regents’ Scholarship Leave of Absence Information
Learn how to apply for a leave of absence from your scholarship.
Purpose of a Leave of Absence
A leave of absence is used to put your Regents’ Scholarship “on hold.” Use the leave of absence request form if you have qualified for and received one or more scholarship payments. A leave of absence is generally used when you are:
- serving in the military,
- have a major medical issue, or
- for humanitarian/religious service reasons.
Leave of absence requests for reasons such as traveling, attending a non-eligible college/university or working to save money will not be approved. Requests for a leave of absence are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, with no guarantee of approval. The scholarship will expire five years from the date of high school graduation; a leave of absence does not extend this expiration.
Applying for a Leave of Absence
Starting with Spring/Winter Semester 2018, students must submit their leave of absence request through the Regents’ Scholarship Student Portal. The online form can be found on the Payments/Leave Request tab. With the online form, students must also submit proof of completion from the previous semester attended and supporting documentation related to the leave request. Under each section below the acceptable supporting documents are listed. It is also highly recommended that students mail in the Student Information Release Form to authorize someone else to receive information on their account while they are on leave.
Leave of absence requests are due by the following deadlines:
- August 1 if seeking a leave beginning Fall semester
- January 15 if seeking a leave beginning Spring semester (Winter semester if attending BYU)
Leave of Absence Due to LDS Religious Service Reasons
- You must be of age to serve and set your availability to serve on or before December 1 (if seeking a leave for Fall Semester) or April 1 (if seeking a leave for Spring Semester or Winter Semester for those attending BYU).
- If you will not be of age to serve a mission and do not set your availability date as outlined above, you will not be eligible for a leave of absence. Therefore, to remain eligible for the scholarship, you will need to continue attending school enrolling in 15 credits.
- If you return early from your mission, you must contact the Regents’ Scholarship office immediately as the terms of the leave of absence are now void. Failure to do so may result in the forfeiture of the scholarship.
- Required Supporting Document: a copy of your mission call stating the date you will be leaving and the length of time you will be serving. For students who have not yet received their call they must submit a letter from their bishop on church letterhead stating the student’s intent to serve and their availability date to serve. The request may be granted on a provisional basis until a copy of the mission call is submitted to the Regents’ Scholarship office.
Leave of Absence Due to Humanitarian Service Reasons
- Required Supporting Document: You must submit a letter from the program on letterhead stating the length of time you will be gone and the service you will be participating in. This letter needs to include details regarding the service you will be providing.
Leave of Absence Due to Medical Reasons
- Required Supporting Document: you must provide a formal doctor’s note describing your individual circumstances which prevent you from meeting the scholarship requirements. Information related to the medical condition must be current (less than 3 months old).
- Leave of absence requests related to medical reasons are typically only approved a semester at a time.
Leave of Absence Due to Military Service
- Required Supporting Document: You must submit a copy of your military orders that state the length of time you will be gone and the date you will report for service.
Tips and Considerations
- We STRONGLY recommend that you complete a Student Information Release form especially if the leave of absence is for a reason that would make it difficult for the Regents’ Scholarship office to communicate directly with you. By submitting the Student Information Release form, you are allowing someone other than yourself to obtain information regarding your scholarship account. The form is also contained within the leave of absence application.
- When returning from a leave of absence, you will follow the instructions provided on the Renewal and Payment Request Instructions document in order to “re-activate” your scholarship.