Regents’ Scholarship Leave of Absence Information
Learn how to apply for a leave of absence from your scholarship.
The following information is for students who earned the scholarship in 2018 or prior.
Purpose of a Leave of Absence
A leave of absence is used to put your Regents’ Scholarship “on hold” and maintain eligibility for the scholarship. Use the leave of absence request form if you have qualified for and received one or more scholarship payments. Refer to the Deferment Information if you will not be enrolling Fall Semester immediately after high school. A leave of absence is generally used when you are:
- serving in the military,
- have a major medical issue, or
- for humanitarian/religious service reasons.
Leave of absence requests for reasons such as traveling, attending a non-eligible college/university or working to save money will not be approved. Requests for a leave of absence are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, with no guarantee of approval. The scholarship will expire five years from the date of high school graduation; a leave of absence does not extend this expiration.
Applying for a Leave of Absence
Starting with Spring/Winter Semester 2018, students must submit their leave of absence request through the Regents’ Scholarship Student Portal. The online leave of absence form can be found on the Payments/Leave Request tab. With the online form, students must also submit proof of completion from the previous semester attended and supporting documentation related to the leave request. Under each section below, the acceptable supporting documents are listed.
You are responsible for managing your scholarship even while on leave. If you will not be able to monitor your scholarship account online, it is STRONGLY recommended that you authorize someone to act on your behalf by obtaining and submitting a copy of a notarized power of attorney. Even if you think you will be able to monitor your account in your absence, it is highly recommended that you mail in the Student Information Release Form to authorize someone else to receive information about your account while you are gone. Receiving an approved leave of absence does not exempt you from meeting the requirements and deadlines. Be sure to check your account regularly or have an authorized person do it for you.
Leave of absence requests are due by the following deadlines:
- August 1 if seeking a leave beginning Fall semester
- January 15 if seeking a leave beginning Spring semester (Winter semester if attending BYU)
Leave of Absence Due to LDS Religious Service Reasons
- You must be of age to serve and set your availability to serve on or before December 1 (if seeking a leave for Fall Semester) or April 1 (if seeking a leave for Spring Semester or Winter Semester for those attending BYU).
- If you will not be of age to serve a mission and do not set your availability date as outlined above, you will not be eligible for a leave of absence. Therefore, to remain eligible for the scholarship, you will need to continue attending school enrolling in 15 credits.
- If you return early from your mission, you must contact the Regents’ Scholarship office immediately as the terms of the leave of absence are now void. Failure to do so may result in the forfeiture of the scholarship.
- Required Supporting Document: a copy of your mission call stating the date you will be leaving and the length of time you will be serving. For students who have not yet received their call they must submit a letter from their bishop on church letterhead stating the student’s intent to serve and their availability date to serve. The request may be granted on a provisional basis until a copy of the mission call is submitted to the Regents’ Scholarship office.
Leave of Absence Due to Humanitarian Service Reasons
- Required Supporting Document: You must submit a letter from the program on letterhead stating the length of time you will be gone and the service you will be participating in. This letter needs to include details regarding the service you will be providing.
Leave of Absence Due to Medical Reasons
- Required Supporting Document: you must provide a formal doctor’s note describing your individual circumstances which prevent you from meeting the scholarship requirements and your doctor’s recommendation regarding your college enrollment. Information related to the medical condition must be current (less than 3 months old).
- Leave of absence requests related to medical reasons are typically only approved a semester at a time.
Leave of Absence Due to Military Service
- Required Supporting Document: You must submit a copy of your military orders that state the length of time you will be gone and the date you will report for service.
How to Reactivate Your Account When You Return
When returning from a leave of absence, you will follow the instructions provided on the Renewal and Payment Request Instructions in order to “re-activate” your scholarship.