StepUp to College Costs Scholarship for 8th and 9th Graders – Rules
Each year, we give away our own $500 StepUp to College Costs Scholarships to reward Utah 8th and 9th grade students who use the StepUp Utah Scholarship Toolkit to guide their scholarship journey.
Scholarships are an important tool for paying for college. It’s never too early to start applying for scholarships – we encourage students to start using the StepUp Scholarship Toolkit as early as the 8th grade to create an impressive resume and practice writing personal statements and other essays to submit to scholarship committees.
Each year, we give away our own scholarship awards to reward 8th and 9th grade students who use the StepUp Utah Scholarship Toolkit to guide their scholarship journey. We will select two students who will each win a $500 scholarship.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Download the StepUp Scholarship Toolkit
- Choose ONE of the scholarship prompts from page 3 of the StepUp Scholarship Toolkit and write a response (maximum 500 words).
- In your essay, be sure to indicate which prompt you chose to address
- Complete the scholarship application by 11:59pm on April 15, 2019
- Failure to complete one or all of the requirements will disqualify you from any prize eligibility.
- The following rules are official, regardless of any information listed elsewhere.
- Entrants must be legal United States residents and residents of the state of Utah.
- Entrants must be attending 8th or 9th grade at a Utah educational institution or legally recognized homeschool.
- Employees of the Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority, its affiliated organizations, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- The student must enroll in an eligible postsecondary institution after high school to receive the funds. An eligible postsecondary institution is defined as any postsecondary institution which is legally permitted to disburse Title IV federal student aid. If a winning students does not enroll in an eligible postsecondary institution within four (4) years of the student’s graduating class completion of high school, the award is forfeited, and the funds will be returned to the Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority’s pool of funds in the Salt Lake Education Foundation trust. In order to receive the funds, the student must mail proof of enrollment (including the student’s college ID number) to the Salt Lake Education Foundation at:
- Salt Lake Education Foundation
Attn: Jeanette Hartley
440 East 100 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
- Salt Lake Education Foundation
- The scholarship funds will be sent directly to the postsecondary institution where the student enrolled to be credit to the student’s account. The scholarship is not a waiver; therefore, any funds remaining after a student’s tuition and fees are paid may be released to the student to cover other educational expenses such as books, supplies, equipment, room, board, or travel.
- The contest will officially open on March 1, 2019
- The contest will officially end at 11:59pm MT on April 15, 2019. All application documents must be received by this time to be considered eligible.
HOW WINNERS WILL BE CHOSEN AND NOTIFIED:
- The StepUp team will review all applications. Preference will given to candidates who, through their application and essay:
- Exhibit leadership, volunteerism, and extracurricular involvement
- Display strong academic performance and a commitment to higher education
- Demonstrate the ability to write unique and thought-provoking material
- Avoid spelling and grammatical errors
- Winners will be chosen from the pool of eligible applicants and will receive a phone call, email, and letter by May 1, 2019 confirming they have won
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND DETAILS:
- Prizes cannot be redeemed for cash or substituted for any other items by the winners. The winners cannot assign or transfer prizes. UHEAA and StepUp Utah reserve the right to substitute a comparable prize of like or greater value, including cash, for any prize, for any reason.
- Only one prize will be awarded per household per year.
- This giveaway is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited or restricted by law, including without limitation, in jurisdictions requiring registration, filing, trust account, or posting of a bond, or any other requirements or disclosures that are not expressly satisfied by these rules.
- UHEAA is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the printing, offering, or administration of the giveaway, or in the announcement of the prize.
- By entering, participants represent that they are eligible, and agree (a) to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, (b) to release StepUp Utah and UHEAA, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind cause by any prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize, and (c) to UHEAA’s use of entrants’ personal information including pictures, video, or other media that includes the entrant’s likeness.
- Prize winnings may be subject to State or Federal taxes. Winners are encouraged to consult a tax professional to determine any tax consequences.
If you have any questions regarding this application or scholarship contest, please contact us: