The FAFSA = The Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Completing and submitting your FAFSA is the single most important thing you can do to get help paying for college. Based on the FAFSA, colleges will award their students different types of federal financial aid to help them pay for college like…

  • grants (free money for college that doesn’t need to be paid back),
  • work-study (flexible jobs for students on- or off-campus),
  • and/or student loans (money that you borrow to pay for college that must be paid back later).

Where do I submit the FAFSA?

  • You can complete the FAFSA on a computer at
  • You can complete the FAFSA on your phone through the myStudentAid app.
  • There are other sites that will try to get you to pay in order to submit your FAFSA. DO NOT use any website or app other than or myStudentAid to submit your FAFSA.

Where can I get help with the FAFSA?

What do I need to submit the FAFSA?

  • Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
    • Use 2016 tax info for the 2018-19 FAFSA
    • Use 2017 tax info for the 2019-20 FAFSA
  • If you are a dependent student, you will also need your parents’ tax information
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID to sign electronically (more information below)

2018-19? 2019-20? How do I know which FAFSA to submit?

  • The 2018-19 FAFSA is used to apply for financial aid for fall semester 2018 through summer semester 2019.
  • The 2019-20 FAFSA is used to apply for financial aid for fall semester 2019 through summer semester 2020.

You will need an FSA ID to sign your FAFSA:

Do you have an FSA ID? You must have a FSA ID in order to sign and submit your FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, at least one of your parents will need a FSA ID as well. Only create your own FSA ID! Do not create anyone else’s FSA ID for them.