Purpose of a Deferment
A deferment is used to put your New Century Scholarship “on hold.” Students submit a deferment request if they have applied for the scholarship, but will not attend college the Fall Semester immediately after graduating from high school.
A deferment is generally used when you are serving in the military, have a major medical issue, or for humanitarian/religious service reasons. Deferment requests for reasons such as traveling, attending a non-eligible college/university or working to save money will not be approved. Requests for a deferment are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, with no guarantee of approval. Even if you are granted a deferment, the scholarship will still expire five years from the date of high school graduation.
Applying for a Deferment
After you apply for the New Century Scholarship, a preliminary review is conducted. If you are found to be “on-track” for the scholarship, you are required to complete the online Conditional Acceptance Form and submit documents verifying that all requirements were in fact met. The deferment request is built into the Conditional Acceptance Form. Students who request to a deferment must include supporting documentation related to the request. See information below for further guidelines and details about what documentation must be submitted. All of these documents are due (postmarked) by September 1.
Deferment Due to LDS Humanitarian/Religious Service Reasons
- Required Supporting Document: You must submit a copy of your mission call. Or, if you have not received your call yet you will need to submit a letter from your bishop on church letterhead stating your intent to serve a mission and the date you have set for availability to serve.
- You must be of age to serve and set your availability to on or before December 1 (you will need to submit documentation verifying this). If you do not yet have your mission call, the request may be granted on a provisional basis until you have submitted a copy of your mission call to the New Century Scholarship office.
- If you will not be of age to serve a mission and do not set your availability date prior to December 1, you will not be eligible for a deferment. Therefore, to remain eligible for the scholarship, you will need to enroll in 15 credits during the Fall Semester immediately after high school graduation and follow the steps outlined in the Leave of Absence for the semester in which you are planning to leave.
- If you return early from your mission, you must contact the New Century Scholarship office immediately as the terms of the deferment are now void. For example, let’s say your original intent was to serve a mission from August 2017 to August 2019, but then your circumstances changed and you return in May 2018. You will be expected to enroll in 15 credits for Fall Semester 2018, unless a new deferment request has been submitted and approved. Failure to do so may result in the forfeiture of the scholarship.
Deferment Due to Humanitarian Service Reasons
- Required Supporting Documents: You must submit a letter from the program on letterhead stating the length of time you will be gone and the service you will be participating in. This letter needs to include details regarding the service you will be providing.
Deferment Due to Medical Reasons
- Required Supporting Documents: If you are seeking the deferment due to medical reasons, you must provide a formal doctor’s note describing your individual circumstances which prevent you from meeting the scholarship requirements and your doctor’s recommendation regarding your academics. Information related to the medical condition must be current (less than 3 months old).
- Deferment requests related to medical reasons are typically only approved one semester at a time.
Deferment Due to Military Service
- Required Supporting Documents: You must submit a copy of your military orders that state the length of time you will be gone and the date you will report for service.
Tips and Considerations
- We STRONGLY recommend that you complete a Student Information Release form, especially if the deferment is for a reason that would make it difficult for the New Century Scholarship office to communicate directly with you. By submitting the Student Information Release form, you are allowing someone other than yourself to obtain information regarding your scholarship account. The form can be found on www.newcenturyscholarship.org.
- When your deferment has ended, in order to “re-activate” your scholarship, you will follow the instructions provided on the Renewal and Payment Request Instructions document found on our website.