What does ‘college’ mean? It’s up to you.
So, what exactly is college? It means anything from a one-year certificate to a four-year degree and beyond. It can mean an associate degree in Nursing, a bachelor’s degree in Business, or a certificate in Diesel Mechanics. But no matter what higher education looks like to you, it can lead to success in the form of better pay, less unemployment, and most of all — opportunity.
Step Up to the challenge — It’s worth it.
College is more than training for a career. It’s about discovering yourself and learning to think and live independently. It’s about life lessons, social skills, and acquiring more information about areas of interest to you. Which in turn, will help you live a happier, more successful life.
Studies have shown that when you continue your education after high school, you are almost always likely to make more money than people who stop at high school. Plus, a college degree will increase your chance of employment by nearly 50 percent. Don’t sell yourself short — higher education really does pay off:
- On average, educated people live longer and enjoy healthier lives.
- People with higher levels of education tend to get jobs with higher wages and better health care and retirement benefits.
- Evidence shows that a college education increases one’s sense of life satisfaction and overall happiness.
College is for everyone.
You ARE college material. Put aside any doubts you may have, and start believing in yourself. Even if you don’t have the best grades, you can still attend college and graduate. Keep these things in mind if you’re ever feeling discouraged:
- Different colleges have different admissions standards. In Utah, there is a college that is right for you.
- You can take the ACT and SAT tests multiple times to improve your scores. Colleges and universities will use your highest score in determining placement and admissions eligibility.
- Several schools have open admissions policies, which means they will accept all students who apply. A two-year community college may be a great place to get started on your college education.