Apply for the FAFSA.

Completing and submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the single most important thing your student can do to get help paying for college. Based on their FAFSA application, they could qualify for grants, work-study, and student loans. Some scholarships require completion of the FAFSA as well.

You’ll need your tax information (both yours and your student’s) to complete the FAFSA. The FAFSA can be completed after October 1 of their senior year in high school. Check their college’s priority financial aid deadline to see when to submit the FAFSA. 

Students complete the FAFSA for the first time during their senior year of high school and then again each and every year they are in college. If your student is not a senior in high school yet, you can use the FAFSA4CASTER to estimate how much money your student could qualify for.

Where do I submit the FAFSA?

  • The one and only official website for the FAFSA is
  • There are other sites that will try to get you to pay in order to submit your FAFSA. DO NOT use any website other than to submit your FAFSA.

Where can I get help with the FAFSA?

What do I need to submit the FAFSA?

  • Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
    • Use 2015 tax info for the 2017-18 FAFSA
    • Use 2016 tax info for the 2018-19 FAFSA
  • If you are a dependent student, you will also need your parents’ tax information
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID to sign electronically (more information below)

2017-18? 2018-19? How do I know which FAFSA to submit?

  • The 2017-18 FAFSA is used to apply for financial aid for fall semester 2017 through summer semester 2018.
  • The 2018-19 FAFSA is used to apply for financial aid for fall semester 2018 through summer semester 2019.

You will need an FSA ID to sign your FAFSA:

Do you have an FSA ID? You must have a FSA ID in order to sign and submit your FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, at least one of your parents will need a FSA ID as well. Only create your own FSA ID! Do not create anyone else’s FSA ID for them.