By Katie Wornek, Outreach Officer and Financial Aid Expert – February 2018
The Utah School Counselor Association (USCA) awarded its 2018 Lynn Jensen Memorial Scholarships at the Utah State Capitol Building last Thursday.
The scholarship honors Dr. Lynn Jensen who, in his thirty years of work at the Utah Office of Education, “was passionate about students and the important role counselors had in serving all students.” The scholarship is available to Utah high school seniors who plan to become school counselors or K-12 public education teachers. Applicants are required to write an essay about a school counselor who has had a positive effect on their life and education.
USCA selects four scholarship winners and four honorable mention recipients each year. These eight students are invited to present their essays publicly alongside the counselors they honored in an award ceremony at the Capitol Rotunda. The 2018 recipients were:
– Brynn Eardley (Dixie High) honoring counselor Jared Buhanan-Decker
– Alexandra Nestel (Ogden High) honoring counselor Tami Larsen
– Jose Organista (West High) honoring counselor Ami Burton
– Shelbey Townsend (Parowan High) honoring counselor Ava Chamberlain
– Andrea Cazares Rosas (East High) honoring counselor Alisa Kearl
– Elijah Clark (Karl G. Maeser Preparatory Academy) honoring counselor Krystal Anderson
– Madison Michaels (Jordan High) honoring counselor Jared Buhanan-Decker
– Kamree Peterson (South Sevier High) honoring counselor Dustin Shakespear
StepUp Utah would like to congratulate these students and commend their counselors for their excellent work. If you are currently a high school junior and have an interest in applying for the Lynn Jensen Memorial Scholarship next year, visit USCA’s website for more information.