Once a month, we send our Prepare + Pay for College E-Newsletter out to almost 200,000 students, parents, counselors, and educators all over Utah. All are welcome to reply back to our newsletter if they have any college questions about preparing and paying. One of the great questions that came in this week was about one the best types of federal and state financial aid – Grants.

Looking to sign-up for the Prepare + Pay for College E-Newsletter? Sign-up here.


Question from Utah Student:

So I have a question. Can you get a grant/qualify for a grant that your NOT required to pay back if you parents make some money but not a lot. What are the requirements for grants?

Step Up Utah Prepare + Pay for College Expert Answer:

Thank you for your question! The answer is – it depends. Federal grants (and many state grants) are need-based, but the way financial need is calculated is complicated. The best thing you can do is fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) your 12th grade year and every year you plan on attending college – that’s the only way to know for certain if you will qualify for grants.

If it turns out you don’t qualify for grants (or work-study, which is the other need-based program), that’s ok! There are still many other ways to pay for college, including scholarships, savings, and (if you need them) student loans.  

If you ever need help with the FAFSA, please check out our YouTube channel for instructional videos, e-mail us at outreach@utahsbr.edu, or call us at 801-321-7245. Thanks and good luck!

Remember – If you ever have any planning, preparing, or paying for college questions for us, we’re always happy to help. You can send us a direct email to outreach@utahsbr.edu or go to our contact page and send your question there. Have a wonderful day!

-Bryan from the Step Up to Higher Education Utah Team