The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, is now available online for the 2017-2018 academic year (that’s fall 2017 through summer 2018). If you’re one of the millions of students planning on applying for financial aid for college (such as grants, work-study, and student loans), you’ll need to fill it out and submit it as soon as possible.

Here’s a list of what you need to apply:

  • your Social Security card, alien registration or permanent resident card
  • driver’s license
  • 2015 W-2 forms and other records of income
  • 2015 federal income tax returns for you (and your spouse, if you’re married)
  • your parents’ 2015 federal income tax returns, if you are a dependent student
  • your current bank statements
  • your 2015 untaxed income records
  • your current business & investment mortgage information, business & farm, stock, bond and other investment records

It’s important to make sure that you type in your name and Social Security Number into your FAFSA exactly as they appear on your Social Security card. If you get stuck or need help at any point, you can come to any of our upcoming free and public FAFSA Completion Open Houses.

With a little bit of preparation and an early start on your FAFSA, you’ll be ahead of the pack. Good luck!


Do you need help completing and submitting your FAFSA? We’re here to help!