By Ericka Hughes
Being a freshman in college can be super rough if you’re unprepared. Since I just finished my freshman year, I figured I would share a few pointers on what I learned and how to survive!!!!
- Make a budget and stick to it. This one is super important (probably why I put it first). If you have a budget, you are less likely to buy things unnecessarily. This also helps you in your future. Sticking to the made budget is the hardest part, but it will be totally worth it!
- DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Don’t procrastinate. I know you’re used to doing this because high school wasn’t super hard, but if you don’t do your homework in college, you won’t be successful, and it will just add so much unnecessary stress.
- Read the textbook– this one is important, especially in certain classes. This will teach you things that aren’t covered in class which you’ll most likely be tested on!
- Start or join a study group. This one is really helpful in difficult classes. If you’re having a hard time, talk to others who get the material.
- Go to Class. If you aren’t a morning person, don’t take morning classes. Take ones that fit your schedule. This also will give you a chance to get to know your professors better. Being in class is really important in order to learn the material.
- Don’t go food shopping hungry. You WILL buy everything and you will regret it later. This also helps with sticking to a budget. Eat before you go, and make a list so you only get things you need!
- Exercise. The freshmen 15 is a real thing! Working out will give you an escape from homework and your roommates.
- Sleep. Don’t stay up late, especially if you have an early class. Try not to sleep in. Make a sleep schedule and stick to it. Take naps. Napping was the only way I got through some of my weeks. Taking naps in the early afternoon made me feel refreshed and ready to get through the rest of my day.
- Get out of your apartment. Make friends. Staying inside can be super depressing and can also cause some unhealthy habits. Just get out and do something!
- Call your parents. They miss you but don’t want to bother you. Take their advice and tell them you love them.
- Don’t gossip. Don’t gossip to your roommates about your roommates. I sure hope this is general knowledge, but roommates talk and get offended! If you have to vent about someone, refer to #8!
- Clean up after yourself. Your roommates will thank you and having a clean apartment will lessen the stress.
- Always be polite to others. You never know who is going to be your boss so don’t gossip and always treat people with respect.
- Have fun. This should be one of the greatest times of your life and you need to have lots of adventures. Be creative and just be yourself!
My two favorite quotes:
“Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good!” –Minor Myers
“No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, show up, and never give up!!” –Regina Brett
Ericka is a Sophomore at Snow College and is majoring in elementary education. She enjoys being active and loves music. She worked as a swim teacher this summer and absolutely loved it.