By Erika Norton on April 1, 2016
6 Things to Do to Make Your Summer Awesome
8 & 9 graders, before you know it school will be out for the summer. And I bet that most of you are looking forward to a break from school. Summer is a great time to hang out at the pool, sleep in, and go on vacations with your family. It is also a great time to make sure you stay on track for college and don’t fall behind. Summer is the perfect time to learn and have fun at the same time. Follow some of the top tips for summer (below) and make it the best summer yet!
Top 6 tips for an awesome summer:
- Attend a week-long summer camp at a college close to you.
- At Utah Valley University summer camps, you can attend Aviation Day Camp where you learn to fly. If you love drawing and animation you can create the next big video game at the Game Design Studio at University of Utah. You can learn to make a mini racer at Southern Utah University’s TECS (Technology, Engineering, and Computer Science) Camp. Check out other options close to you with a Google search.
- Visit as many of your local museums as you can.
- Utah has a wide variety of museums! At the Hill Aerospace Museum you can check out vintage airplanes. Find dinosaur fossils at the Museum of Natural Curiosity at Thanksgiving Point., or discover the mysteries of the ocean at the Living Planet Aquarium. See this list for more museums around the state.
- Check out events at the library.
- Libraries hold events all summer like Anime Club and art contests. Check out your local libraries to see what events are on the calendar.
- Community Service
- What are you doing in your community to make a difference? Maybe more than you even realize! Start keeping track of the types of service and time that you spend on those service opportunities. With extra time during the summer, try volunteering somewhere regularly. You can check out U Serve Utah to help you find other opportunities and idealist.org.
- Join a cause
- Are there things that you are passionate about? Maybe you want to help stop homelessness or help save rainforests. There are kids out there just like you who are passionate about these topics. Start surfing the web to find out more about these topics and see what other people are doing to make a difference in the world. Never think that you are too young to make a difference.