There’s no reason not to file the FAFSA every year you’re in college! Here’s why…
- It’s the only way to apply for ALL federal and most states’ financial aid, This includes Pell grants, work-study programs, federal student loans, and grant programs you might have never heard about.
- Even if you have a full ride scholarship or savings to help pay for college, filing the FAFSA is a good backup plan to cover unexpected expenses. Many scholarships require you to file the FAFSA as part of the application process.
- You never know what financial aid you might end up getting! Many students file the FAFSA and are surprised to find they qualify for a grant or a need-based scholarship.
- It doesn’t take as long as you think. Usually less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
- It’s not as difficult as you think. FAFSA on the web (www.fafsa.gov) has “Help and Hints” on every section, as well as online chat, phone help, and a frequently asked questions section. You can also come to a StepUpUtah FAFSA Completion Open House or ask your school counselor for help. Don’t hesitate to contact the financial aid office at the college or university you want to attend to ask for school-specific financial aid information.
- You aren’t required to accept loans. The FAFSA is just an application.
Do you need help completing and submitting your FAFSA? We’re here to help!