Concurrent Enrollment

Earn college credit in high school.

Concurrent enrollment (CE) classes are taught either at your high school or on a college campus. Taking CE classes can get you both college and high school credit. CE classes include career/technical education programs and general education classes such as math, science, social studies, language arts, fine arts, humanities, and world languages.

Be thoughtful when enrolling in CE classes. Consider taking classes that count toward your college general education requirements.  You might also select classes to explore college majors that fit your career interest personality.  If you find a particular subject or major of interest, visit to learn which Utah public colleges or universities offer programs in the subject, what it takes to complete a program, and information on careers after graduation.

To be eligible to take a concurrent enrollment class, you must have:

  • Junior or senior class standing (sophomores by exception with district and college department approval);
  • A grade point average, ACT score, or a placement test score which predicts the likelihood of achieving a B or better in the CE class;
  • Parent or guardian approval to register for CE class(es);
  • Counselor or principal and college approval to register for CE class(es); and
  • Interest in CE classes that are appropriate for your Student Education Occupation Plan.

If you’re interested in concurrent enrollment, meet with your high school counselor to learn more.

Other accelerated learning programs: AP, IB, Early College High School & Early College Campus

Apart from Concurrent Enrollment, there are a number of accelerated programs that allow prepared Utah high school students to earn college credit while still in high school.

Student Eligibility
Website Link
Advanced Placement (AP)High school students take high school classes whose curriculum follows a national standard. Students earn a high school grade. College “test” credit may be awarded based on student performance on a standardized exam.Self-SelectionUSBE-Advanced Placement
International Baccalaureate (IB)High school students take high school class whose curriculum follows an international standard. Students earn a high school grade. College “test” credit may be awarded based on student performance on a standardized exam.Admission to the program is different at each IB school, ranging from self-selection to a formal application process.USBE-International Baccalaureate
Early College High SchoolHigh school offers secondary education, Concurrent Enrollment, and Early College classes to accelerate students. Typically, a large percentage of students earn an associate degree before they graduate from high school.Students are selected by lottery. Students enter ECHSs in grades 9, 10, 11, or 12. Indicators for success for college class such as GPA of 3.0 or ACT of 22+. Parent and high school permission for college classes.USBE-Early College High School
Early College (College Campus)High school students are released from school to take college classes on campus. Students may choose any class for which they are eligible (prereq’s met, etc). Grades earned in the college class will be added to high school transcript.Sophomores (limited participation), juniors, seniors. Indicators for success in a college class such as strong GPA or ACT scores. Parent and high school permission.See individual institution websites